the trustees of reservations
Powisset Farm
CSA Blog
A Trustees Property

CSA Info | CSA Sign Up | Farm Stand | Connect with Us | Recipes Blog | Visit Powisset Farm


Monday, September 16, 2013

Field Edges and Farm Festivals



On Saturday evening the Powisset Farm Crew closed the big red barn door to end our fifteenth week of CSA distributions.  We turned the music up loud and hauled the remaining veggies into the cooler, counted and stacked the bins, swept the wash area and drove the rotten tomatoes out to the compost.  I walked down the farm road with my bags filled with veggies, bunches of kale sticking out over the top of the totes, onions and summer squash from the stand making the bags weigh heavy on my shoulders.  I had a lot of plans for my weekend cooking adventures.  After passing the fields and the few remaining families hunting for the last of the husk cherries, I made it home, piled my bags on the kitchen table and grabbed the leash and the dog. 

Henry and I walked into the fields side by side as I closed the gates behind me; the last task to end this September work week.  We walked to the very back corner of the field, to the end of a row of turnips, ready for winter storage.  I looked back at the farm road and noticed how different everything looks from the edges of the field.  Even though I have spent days and months and years looking at these fields and rows of crops growing and being turned-in and growing again, I found myself in a corner of the farm on this almost-fall day, with the light dimming and the leaves starting to turn and it felt like I was looking at a whole new farm. 

That transition from Summer to Fall at the farm, often makes me feel like I am working at a new farm. Our pace changes, our tasks shift from harvesting tomatoes to pulling out tomato stakes. To mark this change, I like to make bread and pick flowers and have farm festivals and press cider and walk to the edges of the fields so that the farm looks as different as it feels.  Next week I’ll tell you about Bread Day and we’ll reflect on our wonderful Fall Festival (which, by the way, is this Sunday, September 22 from 10-3pm).

I’ll see you at the farm,


Meryl & the Powisset Farm Crew



Fall Festival! This Sunday, September 22 10am-3pm

Join us this Sunday, September 22 for the Powisset Farm Fall Festival!
It is time again for the wonderful and amazing fall festival!  The fall festival will be a chance for us all to come together and celebrate Fall on the Farm!  We are winding down our farm season and want to spend time with you, our farm community, to celebrate our 2013 farm season!  There will be live music and vendors (food/crafts and more!), farm tours, activities for kids and Powisset Farm produce for sale!  The event is free and open to all!  I hope that you can come celebrate the farm and fall with us!

When: This Sunday, September 22 10am-3pm
Where: Powisset Farm!
Free and open to all! 
Why: So much fun!



Winter Shares for Sale!

Our summer CSA will be wrapping up in four weeks, but the veggies don’t have to end!  Join our winter CSA and continue to eat Powisset produce deep into the winter!  The winter share has: greens (kale, cabbage, collards, & more), potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabaga, onions, leeks, shallots, garlic and more!  There are four pick ups, from the end of October through the middle of December.  We will give you a wide variety of produce, tips for storage and recipe suggestions.  The winter share is a warm, festive time at the farm and we will do our best to provide you with as much variety as possible, as well as produce that is great for long-term storage.

Join us!  To sign up, please email: mlatronica@ttor.org
Or, sign up at the barn when you come for your share.

Dates and times of the 2013 winter share:
October 26
November 9
November 23
December 14

All pick-ups are at the farm from 10am-3pm
Cost of the winter share: $275


What's in the share:

Up at the barn: lettuce, turnips, radishes, napa or chard, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, onions
In the fields: husk cherries, herbs, last of the cherry tomatoes




No comments:

Post a Comment