the trustees of reservations
Powisset Farm
CSA Blog
A Trustees Property

CSA Info | CSA Sign Up | Farm Stand | Connect with Us | Recipes Blog | Visit Powisset Farm


Friday, March 11, 2016

Farm Happenings

It's really starting to look like spring around the farm. We have had some cold nights which have put a thin skin of ice on the vernal pools at the back of the farm. I've spotted wood ducks and red wing black birds around the farm this week as well. The garlic is up and we are springing forward this Sunday. We started seeding in the greenhouse this week and in less than a month we will be transplanting outside. The magic that is spring leaves me awe struck every year.




 


Pop-up farm stand:
The pop-up farm stand located under the barn in the root cellar is still going strong. There are still lots of carrots, onions, parsnips, celeriac, and potatoes. We also have popcorn, maple syrup, pies, and our own pork! The pop-up stand is open Wednesday - Sunday 9-6. Come check it out.


Welcome Andrew!

Andrew Kelly has joined the farm team as the new Assistant CSA Manager. Andrew brings with him a wealth of knowledge and experience. Please take a few moments to read his bio below.

This is my first year working for The Trustees, and I am excited to be a part of this meaningful organization. My interest in farming developed at a young age and I often assisted on my family's dairy farm in western Massachusetts. By the time I reached an age appropriate to begin farming as a career my family had donated their land for use as a bird sanctuary. Their donation has resonated with me and given me a distinct appreciation for the people who make land conservation and preservation possible. Working for The Trustees was an easy choice to make given their commitment to land stewardship.

I have been farming since 2010 and since then, I have gained experience in many branches of agriculture. I started my career in Washington milking sheep and making artisan sheep cheese. While out West, I also spent a number of seasons working on diversified animal farms which raised pigs, cows, goats, sheep, and chickens. Most recently, I spent three seasons specializing in vegetable farming helping to develop a 60-acreorganic vegetable farm in NY from the ground up.

 My hobbies include cooking, raising animals and being outside in nearly any capacity.

I have a great appreciation for agriculture and the people who choose to make shopping for local food
a priority. I am eager to meet you all, grow your food, and embark on a new growing season together.

Cheers!

Andrew
 

No comments:

Post a Comment