the trustees of reservations
Powisset Farm
CSA Blog
A Trustees Property

CSA Info | CSA Sign Up | Farm Stand | Connect with Us | Recipes Blog | Visit Powisset Farm


Monday, June 30, 2014

Picking Peas



This afternoon I walked through the overflowing rows of peas with a good friend.  We chatted as she filled a container with shelling peas and her almost eleven-month old grabbed onto pea tendrils that brushed against her tiny hands.  As we picked and talked I realized that I had not spent any time eating or picking or enjoying these rows of tender pods.  It felt special to reach into the massive plants and wind my way through the leaf-mulch pathways and come out on the other end, full, smiling and hardly remembering that cold day with the crew when we laid the peas, by hand, into the cool spring earth. 
carrots this week!

I am lucky because I get to hear from some of you about how you experience the farm.  There are the vegetables that we share; the crunchy lettuce, the first carrots of the season, the taste of freshly picked broccoli—all of us eating along with the seasons together.  We share the practice, the ritual, of bringing food from the farm to our kitchens and creating something from the simple to the extravagant, feeding ourselves and our loved ones.  But the experience of being at the farm, the way it feels, is different for all of us. 

Lately, the theme seems to be this sense of stepping away from your day-to-day as you know it; slowing down, taking a deep breath.  The farm offers many of you a break from your routine (even as your visits to the farm become a part of that routine).  At Powisset, you can walk down the farm road, slowly.  You can carefully choose each sprig of parsley, imagining how it will add depth to your salad, or beauty to your counter.  I like the moments when I can see that slow-down, the chatting in the rows of herbs, or the savoring of a snow pea as you taste it before deciding to fill your pint, making sure it’s how you remember it from last year. 

broccoli harvest continues!
For me, the farm is my workplace and my home.  It is the place I am the busiest and loudest version of myself and it is also the place I can be the quietest and most reflective.  My experience of the farm changes with the weather, the crew, who our CSA members are and how many weeds are trying to take over my world.  It feels different during my morning field walk and my evening field walk.  Tuesdays and Wednesdays-so different.  All of these experiences are the farm to me and all of yours are the farm to you.  I find strength and comfort in the places where our rituals at the farm intersect and overlap.  I think I’ll head out and pick more peas just to walk down those rows and see what you’ll be seeing this week.


See you in the fields,

Meryl & the Powisset Farm Crew



What's in the Share:

Full: lettuce, arugula or greens mix, kale or chard, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, scallions, choice of roots: radish/beets/fennel, cilantro or basil
Small: lettuce, kale or chard, scallions, choice of roots, broccoli, cilantro or basil, carrots

pick-your-own: lots of peas! parsley/dill/greens



Our new kitchen space!

Just a reminder to fill out the survey which will help us to hear how you all want to use our new space. If you have not yet filled out a survey during CSA pickup, please click below to fill out our short survey. Thank you for making time to share your input with us!

 
 
 
Get your July 4th pie this week from Bushel + Crumb!

Open to pie share members and non-members alike. Be the hit of the BBQ! Two varieties will be available: Wild Maine Blueberry Maple & Savory Sweet Pea, Herb and Ricotta. We're taking special orders through Monday online at: http://bushelandcrumb.com/blog/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment