Summer CSA Info, Next Week's Happenings & Happy Thanksgiving!
Powisset Farm CSA share sign-up will begin this Tuesday, November 24th. There are a few changes to next year’s CSA. Please read about these changes below:
The cost of the 2016 Powisset Farm Summer CSA will remain at $650 this year for a full size share. Unfortunately, we will no longer be offering small shares in 2016, as they have become increasingly difficult to manage from a production and distribution standpoint. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If a full size share is too large for your household, we welcome and encourage shareholders to make their own arrangements to split shares. We understand the desire for a smaller share size and are working towards a distribution model that provides you with the produce you desire and is sustainable for the farm. Please remember that the farm stand is also a great way to access our produce.
The CSA will run for 20 weeks, from mid-June through mid-October. The exact start date will be weather dependent, so stay tuned via our CSA blog for updates!
Pick-up days will remain the same this year and are as follows:
· Tuesday (2PM-6PM)
· Thursday (10AM-6PM)
· Saturday (10AM-4PM)
We plan to maintain the system of free choice with regard to pick-up day; you can come on whatever distribution day best suits your schedule in a given week. As Tuesdays and Thursdays tend to be quieter days on the farm, we do encourage shareholders to come on those days so that Saturday pick-ups are not too packed.
In order to sign-up for the 2016 Summer CSA you will need to have a Trustees membership that is valid through October 31, 2016. The deposit for the 2016 Summer CSA share is $325. This is equal to half the cost of the share.
Sign-ups will be entirely on-line in 2016. Please visit our CSA website to sign up.
While this week is quiet with Thanksgiving on Thursday, the following couple weeks are particularly busy at the farm!
As many of you know we have been hosting the Westwood Public Library on Mondays for Story Hour while their roof is on the mend. They will be here until Dec. 8th. Or longer…if their roof project continues….
- Sat, Dec. 5th - Maria Speck, the Grains Guru will be giving a talk followed by a cooking demo (including tasting) and the opportunity to purchase her book, Simply Ancient Grains.
- Sun, Dec. 6th - My mother, Claudine Nacamuli, having grown up in Egypt surrounded by Middle Eastern Foods, will be teaching us how to make the dessert that everyone loves - baklava!
- Tues, Dec. 8th – Nicole Lewis (aka Nicole1) will be leading a “Baking with Einkorn” class. Einkorn is used by those with gluten sensitivity (as well as those, like me, who just enjoy its taste and texture). We will not only get our hands dirty but leave with a sample of the Einkorn flour.
- Thurs, Dec. 10th – For those who want to get crafty, join us for Sylvia’s Art Bar while we have fun creating this mixed media piece (see above right). Even the non-creative are welcome!
- Tues., Dec. 15th – Nicole Lewis’ last class of 2015 will be a sequel to her DIY Skincare Class where we will be making skincare gifts for the holidays from scratch! On the menu will be hand scrub, sweet body scrub and silky body butter.
Happy Thanksgiving from all of us at Powisset Farm!