the trustees of reservations
Powisset Farm
CSA Blog
A Trustees Property

CSA Info | CSA Sign Up | Farm Stand | Connect with Us | Recipes Blog | Visit Powisset Farm


Monday, June 25, 2012

A Week of Crazy Weather at Powisset!

lavender in the herb garden. so pretty.

A Week of Crazy Weather at Powisset!



I think Mother Nature missed the meeting last week when I requested that no hail be dropped on our precious crops!  Just as Saturday came to a close, finally bringing a week of blasting heat and pounding floods to an end, the hail started to fall.  Yes! Hail! At Powisset farm!  For about twelve minutes, your farmers stood in disbelief at the barn, watching that ‘dime-sized’ hail crashing into the windshield of our farm truck, and ducking into the nooks of our plants.  Like a protective mother, I yearned to pull out that eleven acre tarp and run swiftly, covering each row of peppers, tomatoes and cukes, sacrificing my own skin to save the growing plants.  Alas, we stood and watched, Jess, documenting this wonder of nature, hopeful that the damage would be little.

In the blue sky and sun of yesterday’s beauty, I drove out on the tractor to inspect the rows.  Broken tomato branches, mud slides, holes in romaine lettuce and bok choi, and hard ground awaited me out there.  But, I smiled at the bent plants there in the sun, laughing at the lessons learned year after year as I farm—I am not in control of this weather, these crops, this season!  Plan and plan as we do all winter---carefully constructing a “perfect” map of a season to take us through a year of vegetables, we farmers have to step back and do as much reacting as we do planning! 

So, I mowed our farm roads, I plowed in old patches of lettuce, arugula and broccoli that have already come and gone for the season, to make room for the dry beans, winter squash, cabbages and popcorn that will be transplanted this week. I sang to the injured potato plants, encouraging them to stand tall and grow strong!  I tried to find that sweet spot between moving the farm forward, thinking three months down the road to what we will be harvesting in October, and being completely present in what this weeks’ harvest will hold for us! 

Maybe I’ll make my invite for Mother Nature to join our morning meetings a little sweeter…does she like donuts?  I would love to know what she has in store for us this season!

See you in the fields!

Meryl (on behalf of the Powisset Farm Crew)

red cabbage!


What's in the share this week:

Up at the barn:
lettuce, greens bunches (choice of arugula, tatsoi, red choi), escarole or radicchio, cabbage, carrots, beets, radish or turnips, choice of cauliflower, kohlrabi, and summer squash, kale or collard greens, scallions.

in the fields: peas, swiss chard, dill



Fish and Pottery at the Tuesday Farm Stand!

Jordan Brothers Seafood will be back at the Farm Stand this Tuesday from 1:30-6:30 to sell the days' freshest catch!  I hope you will sample the delicious fish!  Last week the salmon rocked my dinner with some fresh picked kale and dill.  yum!

You can also catch some pottery by CSA member, Lisa Walker!  You will want to check out her awesome bowls and mugs tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. love your farm and will be heading out this weekend to look at the crops as they continue to grow. You guys do such a great job and I just wanted to say thanks for providing a place to go to get away from the world for awhile!

    ReplyDelete