Farm Stand Open This Weekend, Winter CSA Pick Up III, Events & More!
We hope you all had a great Thanksgiving filled with yummy food and good company!
This Saturday, December 5th, will be the third installment of the Winter Share! Pick-up hours are 10-2pm on Saturday only. There is no Friday pick-up this this week. In this share you canexpect to pick-up: beets, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, garlic, kale, shallots, winter squash, celeriac, leeks, rutabaga, sweet potatoes and spinach (if it has survived the recent cold weather, brrr).
There are still a few tasks to be done around the farm in order to prepare for winter; picking up row cover, plowing the new fields, covering the strawberries, moving the tractors and implements undercover, winterizing the tractors, and making sure all the tools are put away before the first blanket of snow. Soon we will be taking down the electric fencing and the fields will be opened back up for the creatures of the forest to roam about. At this point of the season almost all of the crops have been harvested and tucked away into our root cellar. The hum of the farm continues in the winter. Most of our work is moving inside.People often ask me what I do all winter. The answer is that there is just as much work for me through the winter months as there is during the summer. All the planning for next summer starts now. Soon I will be ordering seeds, fixing equipment, buying tools, mapping out the fields for next seasons crops, and putting together an all-star farm crew for next season.
We said goodbye to the chickens this past week. This means that we will not have eggs for sale during the next two Winter Share distributions. We will have eggs back next season!
- Every Thursday at 6:30am: Mindfulness on the Farm
- Sat, Dec. 5th at 11:30am, Cooking with Ancient Grains & The Grains Guru, Maria Speck
- Sun, Dec. 6th at 10:00am, Baking & Baklava
- Mon., Dec. 7th at 11:00am, Story Hour on the Farm
- Tues., Dec. 8th at 4:30pm, Under the Night Sky Storytime
- Tues., Dec. 8th at 6:30pm, Baking with Einkorn
- Thurs., Dec. 10th at 6:00pm, Sylvia's Art Bar
- Tues., Dec. 15th at 6:30pm, Make & Take - Handmade Bath & Body Gifts for the Holiday